Models for Media Selection & Working with Video

For this blog Post I decided to look at a multimedia tool that my teachers have I used throughout my education and evaluate its effectiveness through the SECTIONS model. The multimedia tool I decided to look at was PowerPoint presentations in my University courses, and I used the video I have inserted below to help me analyze the multimedia.

First, S(tudents) looks at the student demographics and access. I think power point presentations meet the S requirement, because if they are both shown in lecture and posted to bright spaces then students are able to access them at their convenience.

E(ase of use), PowerPoint presentations are very easy to put together, with most sites offering premade templates, all teachers really have to do is fill in the information. For the students, the technology is very easy to use and follow as it is laid out in sections that keep the content organized.

C(osts) PowerPoints are both free of use for the teacher and the students which makes it a great multimedia choose for teaching.

I(nteraction) PowerPoint lectures don’t directly provide the opportunity for learners to interact with the learning material, however, teachers could integrate interactive learning by including a slide with discussion questions that encourage students to get into groups and answer these ideas.

O(rganizational Issues) PowerPoint is easy to use and share with students and is supported by any electronic device, including phones

N(etworking) PowerPoints do not provide an opportunity to engage with other learners or instructors, which is one of its greatest downfalls as a multimedia source

S(ecurity and Privacy) It is a safe instructional method as you don’t need to sign up or disclose any personal information.

Overall, after using the SECTIONS model, one can see that PowerPoints do not meet all the criteria, however, by assessing PowerPoint with this model one can evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the multimedia in order to determine if it will be effective for the learning objectives.

Sections model – youtube. (n.d.). Retrieved November 3, 2021, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zgx9eonXGI.

Add yours

1. Hi Mikayla,
    I enjoyed reading your blog post about models for media selection and working with video! The video you embedded related well with the topic and your in-depth analysis of the SECTIONS model is very descriptive.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!