Multimedia Design for Learning

One of my favourite ways to learn and recall information is by watching screen casting videos. For instance, in high school I was someone who struggled with mathematics. I found that my teaching lecturing on material and quickly doing examples on an overhead projector did not give me the opportunity to be able to comprehend the material. The website Khan academy helped me so much throughout my high school math classes as it allowed me to be able to visualize the material at my own pace. The ability to watch a step-by-step process that I could pause and re watch created an engaging source of learning, that sometimes a classroom wasn’t able to offer.

In this post I have included an example of a Khan academy video to show how screen casting works, notice how in the video he uses the signaling principle. Moreover, he highlights and colour coats important concepts, which according to this principle creates more efficient and better learning opportunities.

I also included an info-graph that provides some statistics on how children learn and the benefits they receive when they learn through more than one sense of learning

Khan Academy (2015). Introduction to increasing, decreasing, positive, or

negative intervals.

(2021). Benefits of Multi-sensory Learning. Retrieved from https://learningabledkids.com/multi_sensory_training/page05-multisensory_work_q.htm

Add yours

1. juliacelinski

2021-11-23 — 12:43 pm

Hi Mikayla!

Thanks for sharing! I totally agree with you about when teachers would teach lectures on a projector and go over examples quickly not being fully beneficial. I also am a very visual learner and benefit from seeing and trying things on my own in order to learn and understand material better.